When the clock strikes 12:00 on January 1st, even the most cynical among us get a feeling of optimism and excitement for what the new year may hold. It’s the perfect time to reflect and search for ways you can improve in your life and your business. If you want to see a physical change in both areas, the key is sticking to a consistent plan. Just like there is no such thing as instant abs (wouldn’t that be nice?), successful marketing takes time and effort if you want to see results.
If you want to give your business a marketing boost in 2017, these small changes can help you improve your digital marketing this year.
- Plan it out – Think about the seasonal campaigns or special events your business is participating in this year and schedule time in advance to market them. Having a game plan at the beginning of the year can save you a lot of time and frustration.
- Keep it consistent – Improve the online experience for your customers by presenting them with accurate information. Make sure your business name, hours, address and contact information is consistent on your website, social media sites and online business listings.
- Sell experiences, not services – Customers are so overwhelmed with advertising on a daily basis that they have learned to tune a lot of it out. To get their attention, you need to promote your business in a way that emotionally connects to your customers. Think about what unique experience your business can offer them.
- Review your reviews – 74% of people say that positive reviews make them trust local businesses more. Make sure you have a consistent schedule for checking and responding to reviews. If negative reviews happen, reply back to the customer and try to get the issue resolved. Potential customers are also reading your response, so be sincere, helpful and timely.
- Spruce up your brand – Review your logo, website and other advertising materials and make sure your message is clear. You want your branding to reflect the personality and purpose of your business. Keeping a fresh look shows your customers that you business is innovative and up-to-date.
- Go Live – People spend 3X more time watching Facebook live videos compared to other videos. Engage your followers with a behind the scene look at your business. This is a great opportunity to build personal relationships with your followers and showcase events, new products or company news.
- Reach out through email – Email marketing is a cost-effective way to stay connected with people who are already interested in your products and services. Reward them with coupons or exclusive offers for their loyalty.
- Show your expertise – Adding new and interesting content to your website is a great way to show you’re an expert in your field, build your online credibility and improve your search engine ranking.
- Contests & giveaways – Who doesn’t love a chance to win free stuff? Contests are a great way to boost your customer’s’ involvement in your brand. Online entries allow you to grow your subscriber list and online traffic. Photo contests let customers do the advertising for you by sharing their positive experiences with their family and friends.
- Never stop learning – With demanding schedules it is easy to forget why you love doing what you do. Learning new skills and staying current with new industry news keeps the passion alive, while working to keep your skillset updated and current. Set aside 30 minutes a week to read an article or watch a webinar.
Taking just an hour a week to practice these marketing tips can help your business get the results you’re looking for in 2017. Need some assistance getting your marketing plan in action? Contact us to help map out your strategy; update your website; or put together an SEO or marketing campaign for the new year.
All of us at Outer Banks Media wish you a happy and successful year! You got this!